Monday, December 10, 2012

Is It Okay If I Forget?

In late November we celebrated Lucas and Eli being home for 3 years.  Wow!  Time flies and stands still at the same time....if that makes sense.

This morning Eli asked me how long have they been home.  I told him again.  He sat there and thought it over  then turned very serious eyes on me and asked,  "Mom, is it okay that I forget how long it is now?  I don't always remember is it okay?"

Oh.  How to answer?  I want to say it's okay, relax and let go.  Then I think no I should let him know that memories of the Philippines and his life there are important because he may have questions later.  Then I look at his too serious, worried eyes that he's forgetting things and time.  So I jumped off the adoptive parent ledge and went rogue and told him it was fine to let go.  That I would try to write as many of his stories and memories down so that he could read them and remember later.

It's probably not the most politically correct, adoptive parenting answer but it's a mom answer.


1 comment:

  1. I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don't know who you
    are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;
    ) Cheers!
    Review my page :: buy african mango

    ReplyDelete