Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Do I Have An Accent?

The question of the night, posed to us by our youngest son?  "Do I have an accent?"  Hmmmm.  "To us, yes you have an accent."  His next question on his search for information, "How do you know?"

Well son.  I have tried for over a year (approximately how long he has understood what accent means) to answer his questions.  Today was the first time he actually thought that maybe he does have an accent...not something he got on his own he had a friend enlighten him at school.  

I've tried to give him examples of accents but when you live in the Midwest of the United States, our "accent" is pretty mundane.  We don't usually consider ourselves to have accents but I have friends from other parts of the country who describe our accent as flat or no accent.   That's how they know we are from the Midwest.

Eli went on to ask when he would be getting his English accent.  I think we have a ways to go on this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment