Sunday, October 9, 2011

"I'm Home"

Have you ever thought or said those words after being away from home for any length of time? Did you ever consider what those words meant? What or where is your home? What makes a home? I don't like to be away from home for very long at a time. I get that from my dad. He would take us on these great road trips but they were a whirlwind, up at 4 a.m. and go, he didn't like to be away for long.

Lucas stayed overnight with a friend Friday night. You would have thought Eli's world had ended as he repeatedly said, "I miss my brother." Then when Lucas came home Saturday, you guessed it, Eli picked a fight at every turn. Brothers. I can't win on that one.

We were putting the boys to bed Saturday night when Lucas sat up and said, "I'm home!" I have never heard a more heart felt declaration from a kid. That one word....home.....coming from him packs a huge punch.

I've been lucky enough in life to have had a home all my life, to have a family to come home to and a place where I felt safe and loved. A place I wanted to be. Lucas has finally discovered his home, his safe place, a place he wants to be. With those few words and the absolute sincerity behind them he has found his home. It does a heart good.

No comments:

Post a Comment