Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Likin' America

We have a lot of conversations with Lucas about the Philippines and America. He is starting to ask more and more questions. Then and now. There and here. Orphanage and home. Sometimes these are really long lengthy talks and others are fly by questions.

The other day while I was making lunch, he appeared at my elbow, grabbed me around the middle and said, "Mom, America good. I like it." He then grabbed his book off the counter, went into his room and started reading it.

While this particular comment didn't require much from me at the time, outside of listening, it did leave me standing there wondering what on Earth brought that revelation about.

Sunday we had all the kids at home for dinner. He found it very important to tell "his" story about the Philippines to Alison. Alison was a little lost as to why he was directing the story at her but we later came to the conclusion that he had not actually told her in his own words about his life before the orphanage, during and when we came to pick up the boys. I guess it was another step in their sibling relationship. Theirs' is probably the one with the most transitions. Alison is oldest, Lucas was oldest. Alison has her own place and so we generally see her once or twice a week, so their time together is broken up.

So all around I'm thinking he's found a lot of things and people he thinks are pretty neat about America.

No comments:

Post a Comment