Monday, September 23, 2013

What's In A Name?

I've been working on filling out some forms where I was entering the boys' Filipino names and their American names.  Lucas swung by the table and was looking over the papers.  Since he discovered our file cabinet full of the paperwork used for their adoptions he's fascinated by the volume of paper and kinds of information asked.

I know some adoptive families actually discard the paperwork copies except for the most vital pieces.  It's a lot to store.  I can't do that.  I'm attached to each of those documents.  It was a tremendous amount of work and I guess I think it's helped Lucas and Eli to understand why it took so long to get them home plus how many legal hoops adoption requires.

Lucas was examining the paperwork and says, "I know Sydney picked Lucas for my name.  Why did you think it was a good idea?"  I asked if he still liked his name and he said, "Yes but how did you get that one."  So I explained about searching for names that wouldn't add to teasing that they get from having Pickle for a last name and that we thought Lucas was close to his birth name of Lowie.  I then said that I thought he looked like a Lucas.

He thought that over for about a minute then said,  "I get it Lowie - Lucas, they are close, they both start with L.  Well what about Eli, his name doesn't sound like Towie and doesn't start with a T?"  I said I thought Eli looked like an Eli and it was an easy name to spell because it was a short name.

Then in all of his 13 year old wisdom he enlightened me, "You got it wrong.  He's a Ted.  Towie/Ted.  He's a much better Ted."   Where on earth this kid gets his view points never ceases to amaze me.  Eli happened in at this point, heard Lucas' pronouncement and said, "Dude!  I'm not Ted!  I'm Eli...mom he can't change my name, the judge said I'm Eli, that's me!" 

Well before they ended the name game via a slug fest, I let them know that no one was changing anything and Lucas could name his kids anything he wanted and Eli could remain Eli and his brother was not the boss of names.  All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment