Monday, May 27, 2013

Someone To Remember

Today is Memorial Day here in the United States.  Over this past week-end our family took flowers to the cemetery in memory of my dad, grandparents and sister.  Taking flowers to the cemetery at this time of year was a huge thing for my parents and something that we've continued on with our kids.

The kids all know that a cemetery is not the end but a new beginning.  They are a place however, that we can go and remember and think a little more in depth about those we've loved who have died.  The good, funny and not so fun times we may have had with that person.

I always remember back to a friend of ours that told us he thought Memorial Day and visiting cemeteries was useless and unnecessary.  Yes, you remember people no matter where you are or what time of year but his statement has always bothered me.  Visiting the grave sites of those we love lets our family share together those memories and open up conversations that I'm pretty sure people don't have anywhere other than a cemetery.

This is one tradition that Lucas especially takes an interest in.  Anything or anytime he has a chance to learn about family members and how they are related and what they were like is of interest.  When I told him we were going this week-end he started asking questions much as he's done the last 3 years since they've come home.

He was very worried that we could not take my mom to the cemetery, her health is not good.  He talked about grandma telling him stories last year and that she would be sad that she couldn't go.  I told him that yes she would be sad but that she knows that we will go for her and that we will remember all the stories she has told and add some new ones that he hasn't heard.

He thought it over and said, "Ok, I guess that will work.  I can go and remember because grandma told me stuff and I don't think I ever had anyone to remember and now I have family here so I'll do my remembering here."

I have no doubt that this grandson from a half a world away, that didn't get a chance to know his grandpa will be able to say to his children, "let me tell you what I remember about my grandparents."

No comments:

Post a Comment