Thursday, March 7, 2013

When The Brother Gets Concerned

This is Lucas' 4th day out of school, yesterday the doctor finally diagnosed him with influenza.  How very disgusted I am with our doctor's office right now is another story.  Since there is an outbreak of 3 different illnesses right now I'd think those would be the 3 they'd look closely at....even when we tell them that three of the kids sitting close to him at school have these illnesses......but what does a mom know, right?

The kid is absolutely wiped out.  He sleeps the majority of the time, his fever spikes at 103 and then drops to 101.  It's hard because neither he nor Eli complain when they don't feel good.  This above anything tells me how sick he is.

This morning I drove Eli into school.  He was overly quiet.  As we pulled into the parking lot at school he looks over and says, "Mom.  I don't like it when Lucas is sick and he is really sick this time.  Will he have to go stay somewhere else for a long time?"  Huh?

As we were sitting in the drop off line, I scrambled to figure it out.  He was talking about Lucas going to the hospital.  They both refer to it as "that place."  He had several hospital stays when he was in the Philippines.  I told Eli that no the doctor said he'd just need to stay home from school and we'd take care of him, he said, "I don't think so, he probably should go to that place so he feels better cause he's not doing so good.  I don't think that doctor knows much."  He slammed the car door and off he ran to the school building.

So begins another day of medication, temperature taking, fluid pushing and a whole lot of wishing that I'd been more forceful on Sunday and Tuesday so we could have started Tamiflu and maybe gotten him over the hump sooner.




No comments:

Post a Comment