Sunday, March 3, 2013

Stock Boy at the Grocery Store

I've learned my lesson.  I've learned it several times over.  I did not intend to spend my grocery shopping in the presence of the three males in the household.  My car broke down on the way to the store, Mike and the boys had to pick me up and as the store is some distance from our home we went to pick up groceries.  

This is where Mike and  I thought to divide and conquer.  Eli and I would pick up groceries while Mike and Lucas took care of the other errands.  Next time I volunteer for errand duty.

One on one time with Eli is an eye opening, hilarious and at times frustrating, not necessarily, things that work well during grocery shopping in a large city store.  I thought (goofy I know) that I'd keep him busy reading the shopping list and marking off items.

I have a few OCD issues myself so I recognize them in our youngest son and he fully embraces this part of his nature as well.  Two OCD people should not be allowed to shop together.  My list is typed, it's organized by aisle and when in the proper hands works wonders for getting through the store as quickly as possible.  This is where the problems began.

I organize it by aisle not in the EXACT order the items appear in that aisle, I'm not that good.  Eli,being in charge of the list, was insistent that all items be picked up in order and was totally out of sorts when I would find a sale item in a totally different spot or .....wait for it.....picked up something not on the list.

After the first 5 aisles of battling his mom on the correct order in which things must be chosen, he moved on to rearranging things in the cart to "fit" better.  This did not necessarily take into consideration if the item was breakable or squishable.  Once I found the eggs under the milk and laundry soap I "convinced" him to leave the cart alone.  We were not making it through the store quickly that's for sure.

The last 3 aisles were going really quickly until I had to back track to where Eli had stopped to "fix" the shelves.  He was lining up the cans and boxes to the front of shelving and turning the labels to the front.  His explanation?  "People are messy."

We made it to the check out and I count myself and the cashier lucky that he didn't try to tell her how to scan the items and place them in the sacks.  

The best thing about this shopping experience?  With Eli in charge of the list I did come home with every single item on the list.  I also brought home a head ache....free of charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment