Monday, March 4, 2013

Reading and Road Trips

I suppose it's one of those mom moments.  Do you remember when your child crawled for the first time, first word, walked or the first day of school?  For some reason with each of our kids my "remembering moments" are different for each one.

I remember when our oldest daughter was in the car and for the first time read a business sign...it was McDonald's...but she did read it.

Yesterday I wrote about Eli's trip to the grocery store....the tale didn't stop there.  He read all the way home, EVERY road sign, EVERY billboard, EVERY business.

Don't get me wrong, he's reading, GREAT! But we live an hour from the grocery store...an hour of reading is GREAT!  An hour of sign reading is less so.

I'm so glad that he can read all these things that he hasn't practiced sounding out.  He's come so far.  But there are down sides to this (I remember this part from Alison too) once they can read all these wonderful ads and store signage, they want to go to all these new and wonderful places.  Which leads to, "Mom! Can I, can we, look at that!, there's one there, and so on."

I thought it was bad when Alison could spot a McDonald's sign a mile away but this may be worse.  Now it's Game Stop, Sport's Authority, Family Fun Center and the China Buffet.  He even has his route planned and tells me that we can go to all of them in just ONE day.  Wonder if we could plan it for a day when the signs all read CLOSED?

No comments:

Post a Comment