Saturday, March 16, 2013

An Adoptive Parents Eyes Tell Their Story

I am an avid reader of adoption blogs, from adoptees, their families, from all countries.  It's a connection to a world that not many of our closest friends belong to.  I learn so much from these generous people on line.  The trials and triumphs, the love and the struggles.

I can look back over this blog and especially the pictures (I need to post pics more I know, thanks for the reminder Teri) and see the fear and absolute weariness on Lucas and Eli's faces at the start of our journey home and I can see the evolution to the outrageously loud and active boys today.  I see weariness in our eyes from a nerve wracking trip and months and months of hurdles.

Today I was reading a post from a family in China who are meeting their 3rd and 4th adopted kiddos.  And while their story is so wonderful and exciting to view from afar, the pictures tell a story that no words can do justice.

Their blog allows for readers to view the pics and stories from their 1st and 2nd adoptions.  For some reason today it wasn't the photos of the children that captured my attention it was those of mom and dad.  The first adoption shows excitement, fear, weariness, awe, uncertainty and love.  The second were more relaxed pics but still that unknown showed through.  With this journey to numbers 3 and 4 what I see is two parents who are experienced, less nervous, in love with their newest children and faces full of light.  It's the light that struck me most.

The light in their eyes tells me that they truly understand (as us newbies don't really get at the time) that these two precious treasures are about to discover such a world of love in their new family and that as their parents they are in for more joy than can be expressed.  Yes, they know there are rough roads ahead, yes they know they won't always have the answers and yes they know that it is all worth it.

When you first start down this road of unknowns it can be frightening and frustrating.  When you have your children in your arms for the first time it is so overwhelming I think, for us anyway, you are in shock and it takes everything you have to just make it back home.

I'm in awe of those parents who travel the adoption road multiple times.  That light shining out of their faces is the light that will lead the way to orphans becoming family members.  It's a light that God gave them to shine to the world and leads the way to bringing His children home.  Do you have that light inside you?  You might want to start the conversation.

1 comment: