Sunday, January 6, 2013

You Know You Shouldn't Tell Your Kids To Hit.....

Yeah, yeah, I know a parent should take the high road and tell their child it's wrong to hit no matter what.  I should be one of those parents that don't encourage such things.  I should also be a parent that isn't allowed at sporting events where my kid is manhandled.  Yep I don't like it.

Thank goodness this basketball season is complete and tournaments are over.  It was getting a little bloody on the court.  I'm always surprised the restraint that Eli and Lucas show when it comes to getting roughed up during sports.  If I were them, I'd retaliate...probably also good I'm sports ability challenged.

Aggressive can be good and intimidating until an adult coach (not ours) encourages and bullies his players into inappropriate, unsportsmanship like  behavior...they are kids for crying out loud!  Well after yesterdays experiences during tournaments with Lucas, injuries included, I confess I unleashed Eli beforehand.  Not to go out and maim and injure anyone but if his games turned ugly to know that it was ok to protect himself from being hurt.  The kids just want to play a game...others win at all cost.   Yep I don't handle it well at all.

So needless to say, Eli didn't get shoved around, punched, knocked down or stomped on.  He gave the opponents several chances and then he chose to give it back.  He did not hurt anyone else (thank goodness) and it was one time and then the behavior lessened from the other side but he does unfortunately have a front row view of inappropriate court side behavior from teams, coaches and parents.  While we left the game with my blood pressure off the scale...Eli's view on it... "Huh.  They sure get mad.  Why do they think they play better like that?  It makes no sense."

So as I have failed yet once again in following good parenting 101 and encouraged my kid to be defensive, the kid in question continues to maintain a level head and makes us proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment