Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Say The Words

This past week has seen a lot of tragedy for the United States and for people around the world.  The murder of innocent school children is unexplainable to a child that survived an early life in an area of the world that has more than its share of violence and death.  It's unexplainable to any child or adult.

A few posts back I wrote about Eli telling me how he liked school in America because it was safe.  I was so happy he felt that way about school and his new love of learning.   That was then.  Now, we are left trying to explain and make sense of an abhorrent act, to try and convince two boys who have seen first hand acts of evil and now realize they can happen even here in America....even a school.

Working in the office of an elementary school has left me with a lot of questions, anger and yes, fear.  As hard as I tried to work through all that before returning to work on Monday...I have to say I didn't succeed....nothing is as it was before....nor should it be...it's hard for everyone.

As I was literally opening the door to leave the house, Eli came up and said very quietly,  "I love you."  All that time I was trying to make him and Lucas feel okay about going to school and making sure they know we love them, those three words helped me head out to my school, face all those little faces and parents too.  Not only the children need to hear those words, all of us can benefit from the act of telling our loved ones that yes we matter, yes I know what you mean to me and yes I love you.

So to Eli I say thank you for sending me off with that knowledge and thank you for realizing I needed to hear it.  Most of all to all my kids I say, "I love you, you are precious, you are truly a blessing." 

No comments:

Post a Comment