Thursday, March 29, 2012

Gesturing to a Flashback

The longer the boys have been home, the more and more their memories and thoughts of the Philippines have become fuzzy. We still have in depth conversations about the Philippines and the people that are there but it is more of Lucas and Eli touching base with us to ensure that what they remember is the same as they remembered last month.

Every once in awhile we can see a deja vu moment cross their paths. Tonight after work, I arrived home to find Sydney packing for a 3 day school trip to St. Louis, Lucas celebrating passing his timed division and Eli sitting on the floor in his room trying to untangle his kite line....yep that was so not happening. As I passed the doorway he said, "Mom! You have to help me." This kid does not ask for help often and since the kite is the toy of all toys this week, I set down and gave the impossible knotted line 20 minutes of my time. We came to the conclusion that we'd put a new string on it and not worry about the old.

As I went out of the room I told him to go ahead and put his things away and straighten his room while I changed. He came and found me 10 minutes later and wanted me to check to make sure it was done right. I did and he did great....picking up his own room is a lot harder since Lucas has moved to his own bedroom....big brother did a lot of the work before moving. I usually give him a high five for a good job but this time I gave him a thumbs up and he gave me a thumb bump with his.....that's when the deja vu moment happened.

He gasped, yelled "MOM!" We did this in the Philippines. We did this before. We did this in the Philippines!" And then he graced me with the most absolute joyful smile that lit his entire face. He said, "I remember this from before! YES!" and to top it off... a huge hug from my youngest son. Who knew the power of a thumb?

No comments:

Post a Comment