Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Online Monitoring Your Kids

No this is not about monitoring your children's internet usage. It's about a conversation that started with Lucas and Eli when I asked if they were getting more than one milk a day at school....they know that they should only have one at lunch and one at snack time.

Of course we had the immediate reaction of, "No! We only get one." I said, "Hmmm. That's funny the computer shows me that you are both getting two milks each day." Now it was not my intended purpose to freak them out but sometimes they just take the conversation ball and let it run all over themselves. A parent can learn the most interesting things this way.

They have been to my office at the school I work in and have seen our security cameras on my computer. For whatever reason, in a split second they both assumed that I could watch them at their school on the cameras and knew everything they do....all day long. So when they continued to freak out about it they just kept digging the hole a little deeper and then started piling dirt on the other brother. Can you say tattling.

At this point neither Mike nor I can get too worried about anything they are freaking about because let's face it, what freaks out 10 and 11 year old boys for the most part isn't too bad....that will hit about 13?

Now before anyone freaks out on behalf of the boys, I tried several times to correct the assumption that I could "see" them and that I only meant I could view their purchases online through the school website but let me tell you when two Filipino brothers start dishing dirt on the other in order to get out of trouble themselves, it's loud, it's non stop and it's fast. I'm going to let this mistaken superpower of observation that they think I possess ride for a few days and see what other little tidbits spill forth. Boy oh boy if I can convince them that as teenagers their cars will all have video surveillance that would be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment