Thursday, July 14, 2011

No Internet







Our newest campsite doesn't have Internet so our posts are being dictated to Rachel at home to post.

We made it to the Black Hills of South Dakota. It only took us about an hour and a half from our last camp ground to the newest one... Lucas and Eli have talked themselves into enduring another seven hour ride so they were pleasantly surprised!


They haven't decided if this is an okay place or not. Going up is not the favorite thing to do especially as we are climbing into the Black Hills. And are realizing that there are clouds covering the tops of hills so they couldn't see. Eli thought we should stop completely as we drove into the clouds above them.


I made (tried to make) a joke on the way up that we may need them to get out and push the Yukon because it might not pull the camper up the hills. Its too bad no one had a camera ready because as I looked in the rear view mirror I couldn't help but notice the shocked and horrified look on Lucas's face! He said, "Mom. I cannot do that. I will get runned over and smashed! It would roll backwards and be bad." I then asked if he could get out and help slow us down on the downgrade.... "Mom! That would be worse! I get run over! No way!" Smart kid!


We hung out close to the campground most of the day but took a drive up Needle's Highway in the evening. The boys were sure we would drive off the edge and were amazed at the narrow tunnels. I have explained, "Why are the Bad Lands bad?" "Why are there colors in the ground?" "Why are the Black Hills black?" "Why do I have to listen to my sister?" "Why is Mount Rushmore not called South Dakota?" "Why are the roads so twisty?" "Why can't I pester my sister?" "Why is Crazy Horse crazy?" ...... you get the idea.


Lucas's quote for the day was, "Wow! The Yukon say 'I like to shake my booty!" ...... Translation: The road was a little rough.


Next amazing statement came when we were trying to show the boys Birch trees. As soon as I said the word "birch" I knew we were in trouble and waited for the "bad" words to start... Eli said, "That sound like bush!" ... whew!


The pictures are of Sylvan Lake and the view from our campsite.

No comments:

Post a Comment