Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What am I?

The last several posts (as you probably notice) are about life with Eli. I've struggled over the last several weeks to try and figure out exactly what to write about Lucas.

Lucas is just as big a goof ball as Eli and for the most part is adjusting well....but he is also our worrier, thinker and chief, deep into it, make you scramble questioner.

As Lucas is becoming more settled, at ease and opens up his questions are really getting tough to answer so that he understands and so that they are still honest in what he can expect living in a multi-racial family and community.

On the way to one of his games he looks over at me and asks, "What am I?" I'm left scrambling as this didn't pertain to anything we'd been talking about. So I in turn had to ask what he meant. His response, "Am I black?"

Of course my mind goes about 14 different directions trying to figure out the motivation for the question and also figure out a response. I didn't want to dumb down the answer to the point that he thought I wasn't taking him seriously, so we talked about Filipinos being Asian and that Asians do come in many different colors, just like "white" people are not all the same.

Then we had to progress to facial and body features and discuss each of those. It's a good thing our family has a lot of differences because I used a lot of family members to get him to understand that families don't have to look alike to be a family. So to each of the unsung family members thanks for being such a varied lot - you are a living explanation to Lucas as he starts figuring out the differences in people and hopefully understanding that he is wonderful just the way he is.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm...sounds familiarly like a conversation I just had with Lily a couple of weeks ago after she told me she was not a "normal Asian" because she has very fair skin and big eyes.

    ReplyDelete