Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Explain Farming - You Try It!

You know I write a lot about explanations to the boys about pretty much everything, which is totally expected and amazing to watch when the explanation makes sense to them.

Unfortunately, not all the explanations are absorbed. Tonight I took Lucas to his baseball game by myself. It was one of the few times we've had one on one time lately. The game was held about 20 miles from our home so we had "car time explanations" on the way to the game; what town is this, how far, where does that road go, where is my coach, where are my friends......you get the picture.

On the way home (it was a really long game!) I was tired and he was tired so the car questions were not played and I realized that we'd both been quiet for about 10 minutes.....totally unheard of for either us....and then I started watching Lucas which probably wasn't the safest while driving.

Anyway, he had his nose on the side window looking out at the farm land we were passing. I finally asked what he thought about what he was seeing. He asked what the green on the ground was. I told him it was corn that the farmers planted and was just coming up. He looked back outside and said, "That not here when I come to America." Again we went back over the seasons and that he arrived in winter and corn doesn't grow in Iowa in winter. He went about another 5 minutes and said, "Corn is good, it green, grow big all the time - no snow, more corn." I do believe the kid is still traumatized by this past winter. Wait until he sees corn that is 7 feet tall.

Then we talked about all the farmers he knows. He now thinks he should tell them to grow corn all the time so that there is "no more cold!" Guess the farming explanation will need to be revisited.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog! The stories of the boys and your explanations often have me in stitches. I'm all with Lucas for growing more corn!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete