Wednesday, March 31, 2010

See the Apples on the Tree?

There are a whole lot of things to explain to someone who has never been to the Midwest or to the U.S. for that matter. We knew we would be on a sharp learning curve (can you say almost vertical) but there are some things that I for one just hadn't thought about having to explain.

Temperature reached upper 70's today and we stayed outside until dark. The boys are so elated that their first winter seems to be over. Getting them to put jackets on is next to impossible even with goose bumps the size of walnuts after the sun goes down.

Anyway while outside they kept talking about an apple tree. I wasn't paying attention too closely because if you follow every conversation they have you'd be deaf and crazy before the day was out. Finally Lucas grabs me and points to a tree and says "Look Mom apples!" Huh? It's the last day of March in Iowa; the snow just melted and furthermore our last apple tree died last year. So I turned around to see what he was pointing at.....it was a maple tree which is budding. Try explaining tree buds to kids who still aren't convinced our trees have leaves. I gave it my best but once again I've been demoted to the most uninformed mom in the world. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment