Tuesday, October 1, 2013

...and that's why you shouldn't have kids

Sunday after Lucas and Eli's football game we needed to make a quick trip into the city for new athletic shoes x 2....growth spurts equal new footwear.

Before going to the store we stopped at a local restaurant.  We were set in a middle space of the restaurant which was somewhat crowded even though it was late afternoon.  Let me begin by saying when our entire family goes into a restaurant we are a crowd, so tolerance of other large families is understood....except when the behavior crosses a line.

I was doing my best to ignore a family of 5 adults and 4 children.  We all tried but did not succeed because....there were spilled drinks (that hurdled ice under Lucas and Eli's feet in our area), screaming, crying, children crawling on the table, threats, throwing food and then the topper of all behavior....a thrown knife from a 3 year old.

That is when Lucas put his spoon down and quietly leans in to tell me,  "Mom.  That's why some people shouldn't have kids.  I think I'll get a job first."  Not exactly sure why he related the behavior to lack of a job but either way I was pleased to hear he recognized the inappropriate behavior.

I looked over at Eli because frankly I thought that he was the most likely to voice an opinion (loudly).  His reaction? Simply shaking his head back and forth in disgust.  His comment when we got home?  "People should act better, they were not nice to the worker lady."

Their powers of observation and discernment....right on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment