Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sharing His Story, His Way

Last night Lucas and Eli had some friends over to spend the night, go sledding and pretty much see who could stay awake the longest....I did not win that contest.

This morning, Mike was on breakfast duty in the kitchen and while the boys were eating I took 10 minutes getting ready for the day...I swear it was no longer than 10 minutes.

I came back into the kitchen to hear Lucas telling their friends about aging out of the orphanage and what that meant.  His friends were having difficulty understanding or believing the whole idea.  Lucas spotted me (frozen in the doorway - just shocked as this is the first time I've actually heard him explaining it himself to peers) he says, "Mom.  You tell them, I wouldn't live where I used to anymore, I'm too old.  Eli and I wouldn't have been able to stay together."  At which point five sets of eyes (including my husband in this as he was clueless until this point :) for further explanation.

So......I pulled out the mini lesson on orphanages, the boys' life there, at which point Lucas stepped in and added more details.  Lucas and Eli have always asked we share their story, they wanted people to know but either didn't have the words or were too shy so they'd ask us to share.

I know they have talked with their friends about certain things about their lives in the Philippines, I've just never witnessed it.  Lucas did really well, only needing some back up to let his friends know he wasn't making it up.  It's hard to believe for adults let alone kids.  As for their friends?   I'm pretty glad these 2 young gentlemen were the ones he shared with.  At the end of the conversation, one of them slung his arm around Luke's shoulders and said,  "Well.  I'm glad your here now otherwise you wouldn't be my best friend."

What's a mom to do?  Invite them both back for sledding and a pizza party after Christmas and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment