Saturday, September 29, 2012

You Want Them To Learn But.....

There are times, usually at the most embarrassing of times, that you wish they hadn't learned to say or spell a particular word in English.  With knowledge comes power, words especially the knotty ones, can be amazingly hilarious to Lucas and Eli. 

Early on as they were learning English sometimes words that weren't knotty sounded that way because all the sounds weren't formed.  Now they have most sounds so they had to find a "new" way to "get away" with the knotty ones.  What better way than spelling them.  Still knotty, still get in trouble but for whatever 11 and 12 year old boys' minds believe they are absolutely the most hilarious things in the universe and totally worth getting in trouble.

Driving down the highway today Lucas turns to me and says (with a warning grin) "Mom, I'm thinking of a word (giggle, giggle) that starts with b and has two tt's and only one other letter, what is it."  I, being well aware and not senile enough to be bated said, "Lucas" he continued to giggle and said, "Come on mom!  The missing letter is u.  Do you know what the word is?"  Yes son I do.  Then screaming full voice he tells me, "BUTT!!!!"  Why is that funny to a kid?  He laughed at himself for 2 minutes at the end of which I said, "Wow!  Mrs. Killpack would be proud.  Do you think we should ask if she'd add it to your spelling list next week?"  Oh my did I hit the panic button, nothing right now is more important and apparently powerful for him, than not being embarrassed in front of his teacher.  Now I'm hoping he doesn't decide that would be a good idea and surprise the teacher with his new word.

No comments:

Post a Comment