Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chicken of the Philippines

Friday night I thought I would try out a new recipe I had found on line for Filipino Chicken.  I have tried over the past 3 years to cook Filipino recipes but have only hit on a few that the boys recognize.  We quickly learned that even though these particular foods were authentic to the Philippines the boys did not have the opportunity to enjoy them.  They simply had the barest of staples.

Except for chicken.  Chicken is the absolute best no matter what according to Lucas and Eli.  It's really hard to mess it up in their book.  This particular recipe called for soy sauce (another of their loves) bay leaves, vinegar and toasted coconut.  Fairly simple and all ingredients my Midwestern cooking skills could handle.  It was a success, at least once they tasted it.  Apparently it did not look quite the way they thought it should.  We had to refer back to the picture several times before they tried it (ok we've had a few experiments that went a little off but come on it smelled wonderful!).

Final verdict?  There are 2 pieces left only because I made them keep some for their sisters to try.  It had to be one of the quietest meals to date as they were shoveling it in their mouths.  Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I
    stumbleupon on a daily basis. It's always exciting to read content from other writers and practice something from their web sites.
    Feel free to surf my site panic while driving

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you've got time to pass on this recipe that would be fantastic! I'd like to give it a try, chicken is one of the few things my kiddos had beyond the staples as well =)

    ReplyDelete