Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Divorce, Death and Adoption

Bet that title had some of you wondering. It's something that crossed my mind this morning on the way to work. It's amazing how much can fly through your brain in a quiet 15 minute commute.

I was thinking about all the changes that our family has gone through this last year. The boys arrived home during the holidays last year, Mike's grandmother passed away and a whole multitude of other life changing events have taken place.

I can remember a friend talking about the changes in her circle of friends and family after the death of her husband. Many of those close to her began to feel uncomfortable and drifted away. The same thing occurred in family situations where she noticed a feeling of isolation. Other friends have mentioned this after a divorce. People that have been friends as couples are no longer moving in the same circles and eventually lose touch.

This "phenomenon" is also seen by many when they adopt. I guess I was counting my blessings on the friends that we are lucky to have. Those core group of friendships remain in place and for the most part, those friends who were raising children when our girls were growing up are still hanging with us as the boys have come into our family. Mike and I are truly grateful to these wonderful people who haven't shied away from a change to the structure of our friendship and are sharing themselves with us. They are truly an awesome bunch of people.

2 comments:

  1. I hope this is in reference to how much you enjoyed the glitter from your 3rd daughter's birthday gift all over your car. Even 2 hours away I can still cause havoc :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adopted then got divorced. Talk about isolation! I felt like our agency treated me like a pariah when I showed up for agency functions. It was awful!

    ReplyDelete