Monday, September 13, 2010

Mom Before and Mom Now

We go through phases where Lucas gets into deep thinking mode. Usually you know this is happening as he scowls and gets really quiet. This can last and hour or sometimes a day. It does no good to ask him what he's thinking about as he tells you in his own time, after he's run it through his mind enough to be comfortable to talk.

This latest thought provoking period lasted about an hour. His conclusion, "my mom before left me in Philippines when I got old, then you - mom now - come to get me in Philippines. Lots of kids moms leave them in Philippines and new moms come then. And Daddy come and Sydney come to get Eli and me."

He then turns to Rachel who happened to be home this week-end and wasn't able to make the trip to the Philippines and says, "Rachel! You no come get me, where you at?" We explained her starting college and that not all of us could come.

He seems to be rehashing the period of when we first met and when we arrived home. Last week we had an indepth discussion on who was all at the airport when we arrived back home. He asked to see the pictures of the welcome home at the airport and then systematically noted everyone who was not there and wanted to know where they were.

Later on I asked him if it was okay for me to be his mom now. He said, "yes, me no like it when mother left me before, you come get me and you my mom now. You no leave me in Philippines, I live here in my house."

Baggage travels a long way and it sure does get heavy when you're 10 years old and carrying all that weight.

1 comment:

  1. Awe, Lori...this is so touching. That poor kid has been through a lot. But he sound like one tough little man!

    ReplyDelete