Monday, September 6, 2010

Do You Know Where You're Going!

Apparently my sons have come to the conclusion that mom has lost her sense and knowledge of direction of the area that she has spent the last 47 years in. I will acknowledge that perhaps my senses are dulled as I did make the misguided decision to take Lucas with me to pick up Eli at a birthday party....that's when I "got lost".

Eli's friends' party was at a lake about 8 miles cross country. Lucas has also (falsely) decided that if we are in the car by ourselves that he is in charge of navigation. While he is very good navigating he does it in a manner that, shall we say, conveys his utter belief that you are new to the country and have no clue where or how to get anywhere. Those who know me also know that you can "think" what you like about my abilities just don't let me "know" you think I'm an imbecile.

After about 20 right, left, straight, slow down, move over, are we lost comments, I did something totally childish and I fully acknowledge probably proved his point - I turned down a gravel road that I really didn't have a clue where it came out. Now before you think anyone was in danger...I knew what direction home was and I knew where the nearest town was and we could have stopped at anytime to ask directions. When we made the turn onto this road you should have seen Lucas' face. He screams (I do mean scream) Where are you going! Not like this! Where this road go? I said I don't know but we will find out. The road lasted 4 miles and connected with a road that he knew where we were. Then you should have seen the "light bulb" moment when he figured out that Mom knows short cuts too. Until then Dad was the only person who knew how to find a short cut.

You may ask what Eli thought of this whole saga....well he had just come from a birthday party, he was high on sugar and swigging a can of Mountain Dew. I had his seat belt on tight to keep him from bouncing of the roof. As Lucas is screaming we are about to fall off the edge of the world, Eli is screaming yahoo at the top of every hill. Tylenol was my friend when we made it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment