Tuesday, June 29, 2010

They Should Come With A Warning Label

.....that's the lesson I learned about my boys today. What I discovered today is the unique set of skills that the boys were taught in the Philippines on how to evade kidnappers.

I've been running over in my head, apparently unnecessarily, how to introduce stranger danger to the boys without scaring them silly. Yes, we've touched on the basics of stay with us when we are out, don't leave our house yard, etc. But I just hadn't brought up much more than that. Bad Mom.

Today on a trip into Omaha by myself with the boys, before we got out of the vehicle, I did my run through of behavior expectations and then I said ok stay with me and don't wander off. Of course the dynamic duo pipe up with, "Why?"

Nothing I said worked so I, very frustrated, said, "Because someone could take you and I said so." (I know the old Mom at her last straw phrase) Lucas very seriously said that he knew what to do if a kidnapper tried to get him. -Huh?- Eli pipes up with Ya Mom, we know. And all the way into the store and through Target they explained in great detail how to be street smart, avoid, evade and escape "kidnappers".

I don't know what program these two were taught or if it was everyday survival skills for Zamboanga but wow I wish our programs here in the states wasn't so diluted down. Who knows if in the real situation they'd be able to respond but I do know that I know longer have to worry about bringing this particular subject up with them. In this area the Philippines handled it well. Now I think we may need to stick warning labels on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment