Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Perspective is Important Right Now

That was what went through my mind on Monday morning at 11 a.m. as we discovered a pipe had burst in our finished basement, flooding the entire family room and part of Sydney's bedroom.

Rachel and I managed to get the water shut off (Mike and boys were in town) we called them and we started moving things outside as quickly as possible. Lucas and Eli hit the door with their eyes bugging out as they surveyed the soaked furniture and standing water. At this point I hadn't had time for a melt down as I apparently am not able to do that and constructively haul water logged things into the yard. I definitely felt myself slipping into flip out mode until I found Eli attached to my left leg and Lucas attached to my waist.

I looked down at two very worried faces and heard Luke ask, "no more house?", Eli's, "it's all gone?" Ok.....it's definitely a mess, we definitely lost some things but nothing on the scale that the boys witnessed last year in Manila. I explained, "no the house was ok, we weren't going anywhere and a vital piece of information.....the Wii and tv are ok. Lucas then wanted to know if we needed to go on the roof and "my room all gone?" Ummmm nope.

Once all those questions were satisfied you should have seen the grown up expressions of determination as they turned into an express moving service. They dug in with the rest of us until more help arrived. Once the other adults arrived you should have seen the expressions again. I caught sight of Lucas standing outside looking at everyone coming in and out, some he knew, some he didn't and you could see how in awe he was that there were friends willing to help us.

The additional grown up power gave them the sign to let adults handle it because the next "little boy question" was "swimming pool?" Ummmm......nope!

1 comment:

  1. What a mess but how it must have helped to have them keep things in perspective. Hope the clean-up is coming along. Our basement flooded about a month ago, but it isn't finished. You poor thing...I can only imagine the mess. Water is a powerful thing!

    ReplyDelete