Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mastering the English Language is Wierd

I was speaking with a friend who came to the U.S. from Korea 6 years ago. She had to learn all her English starting at the age of 26. She is always very interested in how the boys' English is coming. It is the thing that she has found the most difficult outside of missing family.

I think the boys' English is coming along about on track for where we expected them to be. Some days are a little clearer, some weeks we have full sentences, others we're back to 3 words.

But then every once in awhile one or the other will pop up with a word that blows my mind. I'm concentrating on teaching I, we, they, today, tomorrow, tonight. Well tonight they've both got the sniffles and a cough so we gave them some cold medicine.

Eli takes nothing without a full explanation of what it is, what it will do, what it tastes like and who else has to take it. I'm waiting for him to ask for a complete listing of ingredients next....but I digress....anyway after taking the medicine he hands me the cup and says "delicious", huh? Delicious....really. We struggle with the word I but can come up with delicious. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment