Friday, November 13, 2009

Amazed, Humbled, Proud and Inspired.....


I'm not sure I'll get pictures posted before we lose power (don't know why but power will be shut down from midnight to 4 a.m.)but I wanted to write about a very special part of our Tagaytay tour today.

Our tour director, Rhea used to be a social worker at an agency called CRIBS. She knew of a children's orphanage in Tagaytay (Chosen Children Village) that is home to up to 100 special needs orphans who have not been able to be adopted. The special needs run from cerebral palsy, blindness, deafness basically many high needs.

Rhea asked if we'd like to stop by and see the work and home they provide for these children. We weren't sure how the boys would handle walking back into an orphanage situation but said ok as long as they boys seemed to be handling it ok.

The directors were gone but a staff member gave us a tour of what is a truly amazing place. What they do with so little funding is absolutely astounding. Physical, occupational therapy, aqua therapy as well as an on site school. The children cared for range from babies to 24 years of age.

As we toured, the guide told us the children were about to go to lunch, we rounded a corner to the playground where about a dozen children were sitting in wheel chairs, toddlers were playing on the equipment and all those who needed assistance were being aided by those children that were able. It was such an amazing cooperative loving effort these children were demonstrating to one another.

As we stood there listening to the guide I realized that Eli was quiet (very unusual) and was waving at the little ones playing. I turned back and Lucas was beside a wheel chair helping and talking with a boy his age. Then he went to the next chair helped to clean the face of another child, on to the next to straighten someone who couldn't sit. He would have taken care of each and everyone on that playground if we hadn't had to move on. He spoke to each child whether they understood or even knew he was there. If they couldn't respond he simply patted them. Eli was helloing and goodbyeing and generally just making sure everyone got spoken to. Next we moved into the baby cottage where there were 3 infants being fed. Again with the patting and cleaning. Asking each of their names and then the names of the children helping to take care of the babies. Lucas turned to Rhea and asked where their mommys and daddys were. It took about 3 breaths before either she or the guide could answer without crying. Too late for me. I turned back around and Eli was stooped over looking into the face of a baby who couldn't hold his head up, the adult caregiver said "he's blind" Eli looks at me because he couldn't understand, I pointed to his eyes and said no see, Eli has a look when he's thinking hard it's kind of a scrunched up, pinched face - anyway he got "the look"- looked back at the baby patted his cheek and kissed the top of his head. He and Eli headed for the door and we went to the cottage where the rest of the children eat. They were divided by needs, cp, autism, hyperactivity, etc. Again the boys made the circuit of the room, talking, holding, patting, asking names, helping to push wheel chairs to tables.

I'm in total awe of two kids who weren't phased as some adults would have been by needs that were heartbreakingly difficult. I was sad to have to explain that we couldn't come back tomorrow to see the babies when our boys asked. I was proud that no matter how difficult one of the children's needs appeared they showed unconditional caring. I wish I could let each of you see this hour that we were there. I can't do it justice in writing. I hope it's something I am never too old to remember and I can't wait for you all to meet two little guys who may be over-active, impetuous and hard to understand but most importantly our sons who have this amazing capacity to love beyond there own understanding.







4 comments:

  1. Unbelieveable Lori! I wish we all could have experienced that. Way to make a person cry once again......! Love ya! I can't wait to meet these amazing children. They are truly blessed to be joining such a wonderful family, as you are also blessed to have these two beautiul young boys joining you. I can't even write words to describe how your story touched me, especially the nurse and mom part of me!
    Come home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lucas and Family,
    We are meeting you through your pictures on the internet. We're glad you're coming to our class and Logan. We hope to meet soon. Have a safe flight.
    Mrs. McGinn's Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,

    Hi - I know of you from the yahoo group and just wanted to thank you for sharing this beautiful story. What a blessing these two boys are - it's amazing to see God working through them and also working to touch the rest of us through them. They are an amazing example of His love working in the world.

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Talk about bringing a person to tears! The tears were rolling down my cheeks. What amazing boys you have....how proud you and Mike must be. I am happy that you are each blessed to have one another in your lives. What a blessing you are to eachother. I hope your travels are safe. We are excited to have you back home in the good ole USA!!!

    Love and Prayers-Leslie D

    ReplyDelete